Contentment

With the Lord's help, I'm striving to practice Philippians 4:11, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." God has blessed my life in countless ways. However, sometimes I lack the contentment I should have. Webster's 1828 defines the word "content" as quiet; not disturbed; having a mind at peace; satisfied. The word "satisfied" jumps out at me. Am I satisfied with my role as a Christian wife and mother? Am I wishing for time to do what I want? Am I lamenting the rigors of housework and homeschooling? Do I wish that I had the freedom to fill my day with fun projects or activities outside my home? Discontentment is a meek and quiet spirit robber! I definitely need to cherish my family and embrace the responsibilities God has given me. I desire to be satisfied each and every day. Susan over at ByGrace has an excellent post on the seasons of life. Here's a quote from her:

Let me encourage you to embrace whatever season you are in right now. Let go and just revel in it! You're newly married and want a baby? Enjoy the free time you have with your husband. You have 3 . . . 4 . . . 5 little ones who need you all the time? Play with those babies! Drink them in! Give yourself to them completely. You have teenagers? Enjoy these active years; get out and play with them, get to know their friends, fill your life with them. Do you have an empty nest? Make it a sweet nest for you and your husband! Act like newlyweds again. You have empty arms - no children, maybe no husband anymore, maybe still single after all your friends are married - God has a purpose for this season in your life. Find that purpose and embrace it.

I encourage you to read Susan's entire post here. http://riverbendramblings.blogspot.com
~Riverbend Ramblings~
The days are long, but the years are short.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Contentment
With the Lord's help, I'm striving to practice Philippians 4:11, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." God has blessed my life in countless ways. However, sometimes I lack the contentment I should have. Webster's 1828 defines the word "content" as quiet; not disturbed; having a mind at peace; satisfied. The word "satisfied" jumps out at me. Am I satisfied with my role as a Christian wife and mother? Am I wishing for time to do what I want? Am I lamenting the rigors of housework and homeschooling? Do I wish that I had the freedom to fill my day with fun projects or activities outside my home? Discontentment is a meek and quiet spirit robber! I definitely need to cherish my family and embrace the responsibilities God has given me. I desire to be satisfied each and every day. Susan over at ByGrace has an excellent post on the seasons of life. Here's a quote from her:

Let me encourage you to embrace whatever season you are in right now. Let go and just revel in it! You're newly married and want a baby? Enjoy the free time you have with your husband. You have 3 . . . 4 . . . 5 little ones who need you all the time? Play with those babies! Drink them in! Give yourself to them completely. You have teenagers? Enjoy these active years; get out and play with them, get to know their friends, fill your life with them. Do you have an empty nest? Make it a sweet nest for you and your husband! Act like newlyweds again. You have empty arms - no children, maybe no husband anymore, maybe still single after all your friends are married - God has a purpose for this season in your life. Find that purpose and embrace it.

I encourage you to read Susan's entire post here.
4 Comments:
Blogger Mrs.B. said...
I enjoyed reading your thoughts Mrs. C! And thank you for directing us to Susan's post, it sounds really good...I'm headed there now. (o;

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have to learn to be content as well as we trust God with our day!
M

What a great post! I often scold myself for wanting this and that and sometimes trying to keep up with the "Jones" when deep down I know I am very blessed and need to count those blessings more often. I definately need to learn to be more content. ~Wendi

Blogger Sis. Julie said...
You are the second lady to link to Sis. Susan's post. She is down on my list so I'll be stopping by there soon. Thanks!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Links to this post:
Create a Link