Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Monday, November 11, 2013
Tuesday, November 05, 2013
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Monday, October 28, 2013
Thursday, October 03, 2013
Monday, September 30, 2013
We had a full weekend. Steven officiated a wedding on Saturday. Shay was the pianist, and I sang a solo. It was a very sweet ceremony, and we were thrilled to see the happy couple joined in marriage and to be a part of their special day. Sunday was, as always, a very busy day for our family. I needed a slow, quiet Monday to regroup.
Other than driving the kids to and from school, I spent the entire day at home. I washed and dried a couple of loads of laundry and then spent the rest of the day cleaning off my desk and going through a ton paperwork. The paper shredder got a real workout. I was worried that the motor might wear out. I have such a hard time throwing things away, but I was brutal about it while cleaning out my desk drawers. I found a receipt for something I purchased back in September 2009 in one drawer. Yikes! It feels good to have my desk all tidy, especially since it's in the kitchen.
I had one exciting moment today. As I opened the door that leads from the garage out to the backyard, this little guy dropped down from above the door and brushed against my arm before it dropped to the ground.
I admit it -- I screamed. Then I went inside and scrubbed my arm with soap and water. Just a bit of drama in my otherwise quiet day.
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
It is the summer's great last heat,
It is the fall's first chill: They meet.
–Sarah Morgan Bryan Piatt
The calendar says it's officially fall, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the thermometer. We won't see much of a change in the weather here in Florida for at least another month. It's hard to wait for cooler, breezy days. In the meantime, I've set out my fall decorations and try to keep a yummy-smelling candle lit. It can at least seem like fall inside the house.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Steven turned 40 on Friday the 13th. We celebrated as a family by going out to supper at an amazing Brazilian steakhouse in Orlando where the servers bring platter after platter of lamb, fillet, sirloin, prime rib-- you name it-- to your table. There is also a sixty item buffet with everything from imported olives to goat cheese to lobster bisque. I think Case at twice the meat as the rest of us combined. You know how teenage boys are. I wish I would have taken a picture of his plate. We had a great time together. Steven's big gift from me was a beautiful Mont Blanc pen. The kids gave him an iTunes gift card and a ton of his favorite snacks.
Our church family had a fellowship for Steven's birthday after the Sunday evening service with food and a delicious cake. I think he had the best best birthday ever, and he was told by a few men that life gets even better after 40. Happy Birthday to my handsome man!
Friday, September 06, 2013
I'm linking up with Susanne to share a few of the bright spots from the past week. Feel free to join in!
1. We went to a family reunion last weekend for my day's side of the family. My aunt welcomed about fifty family members into her home. All of my cousins, some I hadn't seen in twenty-five years, were present, along with their grown children. I got to hang out with my sisters and one of my brothers. My dad and his wife were able to come, too. We had a fabulous time catching up with family.
2. Steven took me out to eat one night this week, and we shared a yummy brownie sundae for dessert. I just about made myself sick.
3. I didn't do one bit of labor on Labor Day. I spent the entire day reading and was able to finish three books. It's amazing how time flies by when I'm reading.
4. After a few months of laziness, I've finally started back walking two miles a day. Most days I walk very early in the morning before it gets too hot outside. It's too dark to see pretty flowers in the early hours, but I spotted these when I took the dog for a walk one evening.
5. Someone at church gave us a Parcheesi game. I hadn't played in years, and it was completely new to the kids. Hope and Bryn played with me last night after they finished their homework. Guess who won? Me! Bryn came in a close second. Playing a board game together was a great way to end the day.